Friday, May 25, 2012

Jessy Chick (Jessica Chick)

Hmmmm... this one is a toughy... just because I try and give an honest unbiased type article, but I've grown to Love her so much. Perhaps I touch on this as I write. I first met Jess about 2 and 1/2 years ago. My newish friend Joe Carlino said he knew where we could get a marijuana cake thing and it was known to debilitate even the master druggie stoners... even Pacific North Westerners. Shout out to the Seattle, B.C. and Portland friends. So me and Joe went to the place where Jessie worked.  Cakes and shit aren't terribly common given many folks don't have ovens out here in the jungle? Maybe too much space? Maybe too much propane? I dunno so it's not common. Anyhow, I had small expectations of our 50 dollar cake thing. Jessie sauntered out... always pleasant, she has this certain caring nature to her. She is a curvy little woman. I remember a black dress once... the gravity immediately glued my hand to her most voluptuous booty. She gave me a look... like "I liked that but I'll slap you in the face if you do that again." So Joe and I got our cake. It was too expensive per piece for broke ass stoners to afford... cause this tiny little... nothing sized piece of cake would cause hallucinations.  Against Jess' warnings we ate this whole fucking cake over the next 30 hours or so.  We were incapacitated for 4 or 5 days... I can't even remember  ... Joe turned to me at one point and muttered, "Loveless, I don't want to be stoned anymore... fuck Loveless make it stop!". I gave him a blank drooling look.

So we all understand Jess knows her THC brain games and is a good cook. I didn't see much of Jess the first year I was here. I'd see her pass on her bicycle in a hippy kind of passing image. Her skirt would blow in the wind, her full brown locks would swing to catch up with her glance, as she'd give a huge smile before being hailed by some other fan or friend. When I started constructing the recording studio with "Rocking J", I started to hear talk of this amazing talent. Who was this girl? Why hadn't I met her? Well, I already knew her... but apparently too full of myself and my own projects to notice. Soon enough I started to follow the trail. Jess had a blooming rock-star life blossoming in this paradise before I even thought about the studio here. So, I would ask her to come meet with me sometime and record some music. She'd always say something like, "Well, I have a gig that night, and I have to work before that, and I have 2 gigs the next day, then I'm working a double the day after that... but I'll try and cross paths with you when I can." She's a busy girl.

Eventually I meandered into Lazy Mon for open mic night. Jessy played keys and had a star presence on the mic. Her songs are lyrically rich and original. Her voice is smokey and smooth. Her strokes are delicate and intentional. She has been the organizing engine behind the open mic nights at Lazy Mon... along with a few others. As far as a potential famous super star... I don't see how that wouldn't happen. I would rank her as one of the top three or four musical artists in our town. She's only recorded one song in the studio with me so far... and we're missing a duet. Recently she's been pondering a European tour... may be with a Loveless. Shall be seen. These days you can find her working at Lazy Mon, bar-tending or singing songs in one of the many upscale restaurants in Puerto Viejo or Cocles.