Friday, February 9, 2007

What is in a name? Depends on the name.


An old man sat down behind me early in the morning when I first setup my canvas. He watched me all day. When I was packing up around 4pm. I asked him in English, "So what do you think?" His English was broken. He replied, "You are a genius." Well that's quite a compliment. I told him my name and asked his. He replied, "Raphael Dali". I nearly blacked out when I heard Dali... I had trouble remembering his first name... until a dear friend whom I called immediately after reminded me. I asked if he was related to Salvador. He grinned and said, "Oh you speak of my blood. I knew Salvador very well." He mentioned something of being a great grandson... which at first I was eager to think it was Salvador's great grandson... but since Dali had no kids... I assume he said he was one of Salvador's close kin's great grandson." I need to take a freakin Spanish class obviously. I checked his ID... and asked if I could photo it for proof. He gave me a look like..." You actually think I'm gonna let you photo my ID?"... and said "no." He was indeed a Dali... the first day here and a Dali(regardless of whose great grandson he was) watched me paint and said I was good. Holy shit! That is fucking cool. I'm still grinning every time I think about it. Like right now.